Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

"What, You Don't Have a Valentine?"

Nobody has ever said this to me, but as I get older the message becomes more apparent: "you should have a sweetheart on Valentine's day, if you don't, you are a sad single pringle."

Do you ever feel lonely on Valentine's day? Sometimes it's hard when you see your friends texting their boyfriends or girlfriends cute poems, or some people just can't take a hint that PDA (Public Display of Affection) is not welcomed in certain areas. You want to nibble on the heart shaped chocolates you bought yourself while you invite Me, Myself, and I to your pity party (while scrolling through the social media, which doesn't help).

Here's some advice: stop hurting yourself. You can keep the munchies, but crash the pity party, shut off your phone, and open the Bible. Do you know what the Bible is? It is God's own love letter toward us. Not just in the new testament, either. Genesis, Isaiah, Song of Solomon, even Exodus shows that God wants us to come to Him for love and acceptance. Even though God created the opposite genders for each other, the union between a man and a woman represents Christ's union with His church. They are that close.

Having a significant other is wonderful, but it's temporary. God has loved you before anyone else, He loves you more than anyone else, and He will love you longer than anyone else.

After that, don't you feel a little silly for crying about "no one sending you a valentine?" Now that you think about it, that was rather disrespectful to God, ignoring His beautiful, chocolate-filled, glistening valentine when it was most likely in your very room.

Go ahead.

Open it.

Elsie Mason

4 comments:

  1. This is my absolute favorite. I'm still a single pringle, but a happy one. And yeah, I get lonely. I may or may not have bought myself those heart-shaped chocolates. But hey, they're cute! And plus, I mean, it's chocolate. But no pity parties for me this weekend :)

    *goes to nightstand beside bed*
    *opens nightstand drawer*
    *gets out valentine*

    Thanks for this post!
    ~Kayla W (Y'know, your WC friend)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Public displays of affection make people uncomfortable."
    "Yes, they do."
    I was lucky to make it out of my situation with my spiritual integrity in tact. Besides, we were too busy being HAPPY single pringles together Friday night! And everyone knows the REAL February holiday is the 15th- Cheap Chocolate Day!
    -Cecilia F.

    ReplyDelete